Saturday, June 23, 2007

Swimming Woes

I was standing at the edge of the pool in disbelief, my little Krystyl was 3 feet away from the swimming teacher and she was drowning. The teacher had her back to her, and didn't see her. I was screaming, waving my arms, hollering anything to get the teachers attention. She just ignored everything that I was doing. I was getting ready to go in after Krystyl, when another teacher went in after Krystyl.

The teacher brought Krystyl to me spitting, sputtering, and trembling. Krystyl wimpered and muttered and I couldn't quite figure out what she was saying. Krystyl finally got the words out, and I was stunned when she said "I want to go down the big slide." I couldn't believe it, she had nearly drown and she wanted to go down the 70 foot water slide.

I wasn't sure how to respond to her ridiculous request. If I said "no" would she always be afraid of water. If I said "yes" would she be even more daring in the water? What should I do? The teacher that rescued her, took her hand and said "I will go with you".

I watched as they climbed the steps, praying for her safety. I was relieved when they reappeared around the slide. Krystyl changed her mind on the third step. She no longer wanted to go down the slide.

What is a mother to do, with a little girl that is only 37 inches tall, but thinks she is 10 feet tall?

1 comment:

Brianne Hudgins Photography said...

I am SOOOOOO glad she didn't go down the slide!!! And that you didn't, ya know, strangle the teacher who was supposed to be keeping her alive & safe in there!

I'm off to tell Noodle there will be no water trips in her future!